Feather to Wings a Working Artist Creativity Workshop
Are you feeling disconnected from your creativity? Do you want to go deeper into your work as an artist?
Do you thrive in an intimate setting? Do you yearn to connect with other artists? Do you want personal feedback from two internationally recognized artists who have the understanding and insight to guide you on a transformative journey of exploration?
Are you hungry for adventure…?
…then you might be an ideal candidate for Working Artist: from Feather to Wings, a creativity retreat in the French town of Arles, August 21 – 27, 2022
Who this is for:
Working Artist: from Feather to Wings is for you if you’re ready to have a major breakthrough in your practice and your life, and you meet the following criteria:
- You are an artist of any medium who hasn’t yet achieved the level of success you want in the art world
- You are willing to look at WHY you make art
- You’re feeling stuck or uninspired or confused about the direction of your work
- You’re willing to devote your best ideas and support to other artists when the spotlight is not on you
Who this is NOT for:
This retreat is not for people who don’t want to look inward. It’s also not for you if…
- You are resistant or defensive about candid feedback
- You’re not willing to be support of others
- You have expectations that things will unfold exactly as you want
- You ‘re not willing to explore the deeper questions around art
The Who, What, Where and When
Who meet Anthony Epes
Anthony Epes is a Greek African American Photographer based in southern Spain. Epes’s photographic desire is always to capture the many emotions of light and colour.
There is a sense of aloneness that permeates Epe’s images, a physical aspect of wanting to always travel and shoot alone. But also a deep stirring of someone who has never found their place in the world. The feeling of isolation that comes in and out of all of our lives.
Epes was powerfully influenced by Ernst Haas as a young photographer, and continues in his footsteps of celebrating light and finding beauty in even the most mundane places.
Epes has published three photo books of his decade-long wanderings through cities at dawn. He has been featured in many international press including the BBC, CNN, Atlas Obscura, the Guardian and French Photo Magazine.
Who meet Crista Cloutier
Actively involved in the contemporary art world throughout her career, Crista has been called “The Artist Whisperer” by artists who have worked with her.
Honored by LinkedIn as an “Influencer in the Contemporary Art World,” Crista has collaborated with some of the most significant contemporary artists showing today. She’s taught and lectured throughout the world, helping aspiring artists to take the steps to become working artists and established artists to step up their game.
- We will take 10 people out of their comfort zone and into a deeply inspiring creative journey
- We will track the journey of an artist, from identity, past fear, to craft and voice and audience and failure to faith
- We will build on your strengths and identify what’s holding you back
- We will work together, as a group, but you’ll also have an individual session with Anthony and with Crista
- We will have group conversations where we go deep
- We will use photography to explore how the world mirrors what we’ve learned (and no, you don’t have to be a photographer)
- We will romance your Muse
We’ll be spending a week in the wonderous town of Arles in the South of France. The light! The food! The history! The art! After all, Arles was once the home of Van Gogh.
We will be taking over a small B&B in town. It’s a beautiful, unique building with very big rooms, all self-contained in central Arles. Everything is within walking distance. You can see the B&B website here.
- Kitchen facilities within or close to the room
- Self-catering except for breakfast
- Delicious continental breakfast (though everything in France is delicious)
- A scrumptious dinner to welcome you and a lunch to say goodbye
- Large Private rooms with bathrooms
- Double occupancy rooms available too
The beautiful Mia Casa
Working Artist: from Feather to Wings Creativity
6 nights over 7 days
Retreat will be August 21 to August 27th, 2022.
The retreat fee excludes:
Travel to Arles, meals and drinks not mentioned.
You must have travel insurance that includes Covid health provisions
Getting to Arles
Arles is served by two local airports; Nimes and Marseilles (Montpelier is two hours away, so still possible, if you don’t find a flight you want to the other airports). Marseille has the most convenient flight times, but check out Nimes too.
Fly to Marseille as this has the greatest selection of airlines, times and they fly from all of the London airports. Check out Skyscanner for a full selection.
Arriving early / staying on after workshop: If you would like to stay longer, either arriving earlier or later in the week after you can stay at the B&B for 70 euros per night, per room – we have negotiated this special rate with Mia Casa. Contact Diana for any additional booking and to check availability, email@example.com.
Workshop capacity: There is a maximum of 10 people in this group to ensure that Anthony and I are able to work with everyone.
Due to current world realities, we strongly encourage you to buy travel insurance and health insurance.
The retreat starts at 12pm on 21st August and finishes at 2pm on 27th August.
Testimonials for Crista
She helped me uncover what I was really trying to say with my art at a time when I felt like I had forgotten how to even speak about my work.”
“Crista has given me new confidence to be a stronger person, who just happens to be an artist.”
“If you’re an artist and want to transform that into your main job, Crista is the mentor you are looking for.”
Testimonials for Anthony
“The class was phenomenal – We learned how to see, edit, and share as an interactive team, when considering our images for a project. Personally I was proud of my final result, my knowledge and experience grew exponentially, and having learned the benefit of being mentally focused, while on the project journey, will serve me well in the future.”
“Taking part in Anthony’s Project Course was a massive leap forward on my creative journey and gave me the confidence to call myself a photographer. I would not have got so far, so quickly if it hadn’t been for Anthony and the rest of the group. The course was challenging, fun and occasionally quite emotional as we saw each other’s projects emerge from their embryonic state into their finished form. I feel very proud of what Anthony helped us all to achieve.”
“ Anthony, this has been very inspiring to me. I just finished reading it through for the second time. I wanted to take it all in.”
“Anthony has the ideal combination of expertise, clarity and patience. His enthusiasm is infectious.”