Arles Photography Retreat
August 20th – 25th 2021
- 6 days / 5 nights
- All accommodation in boutique B&B
- All breakfasts, welcome dinner and farewell lunch
- Artist-led approach to photography
- Small group 4-6 people
- Photography tuition
Travel, Street, People Photography
Arles Photography Retreat
This retreat is all about propelling you forward with your photography. And it’s not just about what you struggle with – it’s also about taking all the things that you are fantastic at in photography, and getting better and better and better.
Arles in summer is literally photography-soaked. I will take you to see many of the photo exhibitions, which are dotted all over the city in really cool venues, and examine photos along the way – it is an exploration into the ideas and techniques of great photographers. Not to be missed!
We will have so much inspiration coming in from both the location, the other photographers in the group plus all of these photography shows, amazing!
I will be using your photography – and photo needs – as the touchpoint for my teachings.
I will look at your images and talk to you before we go, and design sessions with each of you in mind.
What will you gain from this workshop?
- I will take 6 people out of their comfort zone and onto a deeply inspiring creative journey.
- We will build on your strengths, develop your personal style.
- We will also figure out what is holding you back – and then work on learning those skills that you need to gain total creative freedom.
- I will detail what you need to learn, and how you personally need to develop your photography practise.
- For some people, it will be getting fully to grips with their camera so they can release creative control and confidence.
- For others it will be releasing their creativity, their ability to be present, to just be.
Using your photography as a starting point – I will designing sessions that will draw on the broad needs of the group for these sessions.
I will use my work as an artist to demonstrate certain lessons as well as extensively using your images and experiences – so you have continuous feedback from both myself and the group.
This year will be a collection of fresh sessions based on you – here are sample sessions we have done in the past three years:
- Explore the magical evening light of Arles as night comes shooting at high ISO without a tripod
- Phototalk – In depth examination of light and its qualities – do you really “see” light?
- The colour of emotion – presentation on the use of colour in photography
- Basic daylight exposures (BDE) – Learning to shoot without a light meter – rely only on this easy formula and help develop your eye for light contrast and ratios
- Advanced composition skills – I will teach you how he creates his images using the rules of composition and when to not use them
- Phototalk – Exploring how to be an observer – to be present and mindful as a photographer, and how this helps your images.
These elements will provide the framework of the retreat:
- 1-2-1 session with me before the workshop so we can look at your images and design a plan of what you want to achieve in your 6 days with me
- Group image reviews – there will be many reviews together – and you’ll see how we can all go to the same places and create completely unique images. Great stuff!
- Daily visits to some of the 35 world class photo exhibitions at the festival – where we will discuss, critique and draw lessons and inspiration from the photographers
- Daily in-depth technical and advanced creative sessions
- Daily shooting – the light here is gorgeous! We will shoot at dawn, at night and at various points in between. I will show you how to get the very best images you can – wherever you are and whatever the light
- Processing – We will do lots of processing together, and I will share my techniques and approach to processing like an artist
I want you to use these 6 days to totally and completely immerse yourself in your photography and the inspiration all around us in the town.
To enjoy the company of other passionate photographers – and the wonderful food and wine of Provence.
It will be relaxing, fun, challenging and inspirational all at once.
You’ll return home totally fired up, feeling confident in your skills and excited for your next creative journey.
For those of you who love the medium of photography and are looking for the next step – this is it.
My friend has a beautiful B&B in Arles in the south of France which we will be taking over at the end of August. It’s an amazing town, home of the famous photography festival (35 world class exhibits in amazing locations, warehouses to Roman buildings). Summer here is total photo-lovers paradise.
I have now held 3 retreats here and they were amazing. Arles is an incredible city where Van Gogh painted his famous works, so you will know that the light here is sublime.
This is for you if you want to immerse yourself in creative photography and develop your technical and creative skills.
There are 35 photo exhibits there. Plenty of photo- inspired experiences. It’ll be a total photo immersion experience.
4 – 6 Participants
Experience | Difficulty
- Beginner, amateur, hobbiest and semi-pro photographers
- DSLR, mirrorless, compact or smartphone cameras
- Busy schedule
- Some free time allotted
- Lots of walking, slight elevation changes
About the B&B
- Kitchen facilities within or close to the room
- Self-catering except for breakfast
- Delicious continental breakfast
- Large private rooms/studios with bathrooms
Workshop fee excludes:
Travel to Arles, meals and drinks not mentioned and entry to the photography exhibitions (a pass for all the shows is usually around 36 euros).
Getting to Arles
The workshop starts at 12pm on 20th August and finish at 2pm on 25th April.